Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
You are here: public » services » medical_and_health » mental_health
Services image

Mental Health

CalWORKs (CW) Welfare-to-Work (WTW) participants are eligible to receive many supportive services, including Behavioral Health (Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder) Treatment Services.

Participants (including those in WTW sanction status and CW penalties) and their children are eligible for Behavioral Health (Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder) Treatment Services for conditions that create barriers to employment and self-sufficiency.

Mental Health/Substance Use Disorder treatment services may include:

  • Mental Health Screening
  • Psychotherapy (individual and group)
  • Psychoeducation
  • Medication prescription and management
  • Parenting issues and case management

The Social Services Agency contracts with Alameda County Behavioral Health Care Services (BHCS) to provide Behavioral Health Supportive Services.

How to get these services?

You can:

  • Indicate your need during your appraisal or assessment.
  • Talk to your Employment Counselor (EC) after your WTW orientation or at any time.
  • Talk to one of our Social Workers.
  • Speak with the Support Services Specialist (SSS).
  • Schedule a face to face meeting with the Support Services Specialist at any Social Services Agency office.

NOTE: If you need to talk to someone regarding an urgent concern, call a Support Services Specialist or visit one of our offices to see a Social Worker right away!

Contact Numbers for Support Services Specialists:

Eden Area Multi-Service Center 510-259-2277
North County Self-Sufficiency Center 510-271-0539
Eastmont Self-Sufficiency Center 510-383-5347

What is a Mental Health Screening?

It is a meeting with a Support Services Specialist to identify any employment barriers or mental health concerns you may have. This discussion can provide you with immediate referrals to help manage stress, anxiety, sadness, alcohol and drugs, or other problems that affect your employment and personal goals.

If you have any problems with housing, legal issues, or domestic violence, the SSS can ask one of our Social Workers to assist you with additional resources.

When can a Mental Health Screening help me?

Ask your EC about a WTW Mental Health Screening appointment when you:

  • Are struggling with depression, stress, anxiety, frustration, anger, an inability to sleep, poor appetite, or feel unable to deal with daily tasks.
  • Have any alcohol or drug use struggles.
  • Have concerns about work.

If you don't like the provider you are referred to, can you go to a different one?

Yes, but please give counseling a chance! If it is really not working out with the first provider, you may choose to go to another one. Our Social Workers can also assist you with other service referrals if you need them.

Is your confidentiality protected?

Yes, the screening and meeting with the Social Worker, SSS, and service providers are confidential. Only necessary information— such as the date of referral or exemption qualifications—would be communicated to the EC or anyone else.

Will your benefits be affected by taking advantage of these services?

No. Our staff is here to support you. As a CalWORKs recipient, we want you to take advantage of all the services that are available to help you reach your goals. Your EC will offer transportation and child care assistance. The SSS and Social Workers can also connect you to other relevant community resources.

Other individuals may receive referrals to non-CalWORKs funded Mental Health services by calling ACCESS at 1-800-491-9099.

Social Services Agency Logo Alameda County Seal