Promoting the economic and social well-being of individuals, families, neighborhoods and communities. The Alameda County Social Services Agency is comprised of 2,200 men and women working collectively and in partnership with community-based organizations to serve the needs of the community. The Agency assists approximately 11.3 percent of Alameda County's residents. Read More
- Most Popular
- Doing Business With Us
Benefits CalWIN is an online system that will provide customers the option of applying for CalWORKs, CalFresh and Medi-Cal. Click here to apply
Eligibility Programs Websites
Cash, Medi-Cal and CalFresh
Foster Care Providers
Important: For In-Home Support Services (IHSS), please call 510-577-1800. For the General Assistance (GA) program, you must apply in person at one of our office locations.
More GA program information
Are you Registered to Vote?
If not, the Social Services Agency would like to assist you with the process. It is quick and easy and can be completed online. But first, you must qualify to register. If you meet the following qualifications you are ready to begin the online voter registration process.
To register to vote in California, you must be:
- A United States citizen,
- A resident of California,
- 18 years of age or older on Election Day,
- Not in prison, on parole, serving a state prison sentence in county jail, serving a sentence for a felony pursuant to subdivision (h) of Penal Code section 1170, or on post release community supervision (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see the Secretary of State's Voting Rights for Californians with Criminal Convictions or Detained in Jail or Prison), and
- Not found by a court to be mentally incompetent.
Let's get you registered!
Click here to start the process.
Community Ambassadors Program
Interested in volunteering with Social Services? Read more here.
Season of Sharing (SOS) is a private fund providing emergency-based assistance for housing and critical needs to Alameda County residents. The program considers requests for assistance from families with children under 18 living in the home; seniors age 55 and older; individuals with medically verified disabilities; veterans; emancipated or former foster youth; victims of domestic violence or violent crimes; and pregnant women in their 2nd trimester or later. Households in need may contact the SOS automated pre-screening line at (510) 272-3700. More details here.
New! Now you can submit your SAR 7 online.
To keep receiving your CalWORKS, CalFresh and General Assistance benefits, you can complete, sign, and even submit your SAR 7 report with any required documents online. To get started click here.
This 3 year strategic plan, covering years 2014-2017, is designed to be a guidepost, to inform decision-making, and provide a basic framework on which to build and improve the General Assistance program. Alameda County Social Services Agency is committed to working with clients, staff, the Board of Supervisors, key partners, and other stakeholders to create an environment in our Agency and our county where our vision for General Assistance can be achieved, and where clients have hope, dignity, and opportunity.
New! Guide to Permanency Options for Youth
Our Agency's Guide to Permanency Options for Youth 2018 includes updated information about options available to children, youth and young adults for extended foster care at age 18, under the California Fostering Connections to Success Act, AB12.
The Guide includes information that supports work with children/youth and young adults in extended foster care (who are referred to as non-minor dependents, NMDs) regarding permanency options. It will serve as a tool for many different audiences including:
- Foster and Kin Caregivers, Foster Family Agency Staff and Families, Group Home Providers and those who care for and/or support youth/NMDs in Foster Care
- Youth and NMDs in Foster Care
- Community Partners and those Agencies Serving Youth, NMDs and Families in Foster Care
- Child Welfare Staff
For information about becoming a Foster or Adoptive Parent, contact: Alameda County Social Services Agency Department of Children and Family Services Resource/Adoptive Parent Recruitment, Development & Support Unit (510) 259-3575. Please direct inquiries regarding this Guide to Permanency Options for Youth to firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Parenting Classes
The Alameda County Public Health Department offers some great, FREE resources and events for expecting and new parents. Click on the links to learn more about each event.
Community Baby Shower for expecting moms and dads, August 25, hosted by Alameda County Public Health Department. Enjoy resource info, refreshemnts, free child care, and prize raffles. To participate in the baby shower and raffle you must be pregnant, NOT enrolled in any case management program, and sign-up in advance. Call 510-618-2080 to register
New! Covered California's Special Enrollment for New Mothers and College Grads
New mothers and their families can qualify for health insurance through Covered California's Special Enrollment. Within 60 days of having a baby or adopting a child, new mothers and their families can get enrolled in a new health insurance plan or change their existing plan through Covered California - and may even be able to get financial assistance to help pay for coverage. More details about Special Enrollment can be found online in Covered California's website here, or call the Service Center at (800) 300-1506.
Congrats to the Class of 2018! New college graduates who are transitioning out of their schools' health center coverage may now qualify for health insurance coverage through Covered California's Special Enrollment. Other qualifying life events for Special Enrollment that may apply to college grads are turning 26-years-old or are being removed from their parents' health insurance coverage. Learn about Special Enrollment options for college grads here.
Top 10 SSA pages
Top 10 Searches
Top 10 Documents
Standard file format is Portable Document Format (PDF). Free Adobe Reader required.
- Alameda County In-Home Supportive Services (PDF)
- Medi-Cal and You (PDF)
- Applying for Benefits (PDF)
- Senior Housing Guide (PDF)
- IHSS Application Instructions (DOC)
- Form # 1 IHSS Application (DOC)
- Form # 2 Application for Medi-Cal (PDF)
- Personal Care Services Program Provider/Enrollment Agreement (SOC 426) (PDF)
- In-Home Supportive Services Chore Provider Agreement (CP-7) (PDF)
- SSA Community Ambassador Application (PDF)
Doing Business With Us
The SSA contracts with a number of community-based organizations
and other government agencies.
This is a list of the current funding opportunities. Click an item below for more details.
- Request for Proposal: Supportive Services Adult Day Care Programs
- Request for Proposal: Financial Reviews of Audit Reports
- Request for Proposal: General Assistance Program Employability Determination Services (GAPEDS)
- Request for Proposal: Kinship Support Services
- Request for Proposal: APS Case Management Services (APSCM)
- Request for Proposal: HICAP-Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program
- Request for Proposal: Senior Community Service Employment Program
- Request for Proposal: Family Caregiver Support Program Services
- Request for Proposal: Support Services Program
- Request for Proposal: Nutrition Services
- Request for Proposal: SIPP-Senior Injury Prevention and Brown Bag Services
- Request for Proposal: Youth Innovation Program and Young Adult Future Force Career Program
- Request for Proposal: Comprehensive America's Job Center of California (AJCC) Operator and Career Services Provider
- Request for Proposal: Sub-Regional Workforce Network (SWN) for Adult and Dislocated Worker Career Services
- Request for Proposal: Third Party COBRA Administration Services
- Request for Proposal: Non-Minor Dependents Emergency Transitional Beds
- Request for Proposal: Resource Parent Recruitment Campaign
- Informal Request for Quote: Legal Services For Special Juvenile Immigration Status
- Request for Proposal: Another Road to Safety Program
- Request for Proposal: Immigrant and Refugee Support Services
- Request for Proposal: CalWorks Stage 1 Child Care Program
- Request for Proposal: Supplemental Security Income/Social Security Disability Insurance (SSI/SSDI)
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Contracting/Vendor Pay Agent & Employer of Record Services
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Career Readiness Program
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Comprehensive One-Stop Career Center Services
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Specialized One-Stop Career Center Services
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Employer Services Hub Project
- Request for Proposal: CalFresh and Medi-Cal Outreach and Enrollment
- Request for Proposal: CalWORKs Work Experience and Community Service Program
- Request for Proposal: Independent Living Program
- Request for Proposal: Medi-Cal and CalFresh Renewal Assistance and CalFresh Enrollment Project
- Request for Proposal: Medi-Cal and CalFresh Renewal Assistance and CalFresh Enrollment Project
- Request for Proposal: Work Skills, Professional Development Training and Professional Consulting Services
- Request for Proposal: Summer and After School Youth Employment and Education Program
- Request for Proposal: Parent Education Services
- Request for Proposal: Employability Medical Evaluations for General Assistance (GA) Clients
- Informal Request for Proposal: Medical Evaluations for Resource Families
- Request for Proposal: Transitional Houseing Program-Plus
- Request for Proposal: Parent Engagement Program
EMERGENCY: 24 hour hotlines
- Child Abuse — 510-259-1800
- Elder Abuse — 510-577-3500 or 1-866-CALL APS (1-866-225-5277)
- Health, Housing & Human Services Information — 211
- Safely Surrendered Baby — 1-877-BABYSAF (1-877-222-9723)
- Ombudsman—Advocates for residents in long-term care facilities:
Working Hours Line 510-638-6878
After Hours Crisis Line 1-800-231-4024
Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
- CalWORKS, CalFresh, General Assistance, Medi-Cal — 510-263-2420 or 1-888-999-4772
- Adult Services/IHSS — 510-577-1800
- Adult Medi-Cal — 510-577-5655
- IHSS Providers — 510-577-1877
IHSS Clients/Providers Website
- Foster Care Providers — 510-780-8888
Foster Care Providers Website
- Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Helpline — 1-877-328-9677