Skip County Header
Alameda County, CA,
You are here: public » services » county_policies_and_regulations » 90-03.50
Services image

General Assistance Handbook 90-03.50: Citizens and Eligible Non-citizens

Effective Date:     December 21, 2009

Revised Date:      January 5, 2010

Published By:       E200/ E111


The information in this handbook covers processes that were previously detailed in the General Assistance (GA) regulations and Handbook 90-2.11, Legalized Aliens, dated Dec. 1, 1991. All process information was moved from the regulations to handbooks.

Handbook 90-2.11 (referred to above) is now obsolete.

This handbook provides information on individuals who are US citizens, as well as non-citizens who are eligible for GA. Non-citizens whose residency status is not identified below are ineligible for GA.


All citizens are potentially eligible for GA. Non-citizens identified in section B may also be eligible.

Citizenship or eligible non-citizen status must be verified with birth verification, certificate of naturalization, or valid US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation.


  1. US Citizens
    Individuals born in a US state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or other US territories and commonwealths are citizens.

    Individuals who are naturalized are citizens.
  2. Non-citizens
    Ineligible Non-citizens:        
    Individuals who have entered the US on tourist, visitor, student, temporary, or diplomatic visas.

    Non-citizens with the following residency statuses are potentially eligible for GA.
  3. All individuals granted permanent resident status, verified by USCIS form I-151, I-551, or a Re-entry Permit.
  • Individuals residing under the color of law (PRUCOL) listed below:
  • Conditional Entrants (refugees) per the USCIS regulations whose status has not been terminated by the US Attorney General.
  • Conditional Entrants may verify their status with USCIS form I-94 that is annotated “conditional entry,” “conditional entrant,” “political asylum,” or “refugee.”
  • Parolees per the USCIS regulations.
  • Parolees may verify their status with USCIS form I-94 citing the above regulatory section.
  • Individuals granted an indefinite stay of deportation per the USCIS regulations.
  • Stays of deportation may be verified by a letter from the USCIS or by a court order citing the above section.
  • Individuals who have been granted an indefinite voluntary departure in lieu of deportation.
  • Indefinite voluntary departure may be verified by a letter from USCIS or a court order.
  • Individuals lawfully admitted to the US who meet the following conditions:
  • Have left their sponsor due to domestic violence.
  • Have established a self-petitioned prima facie case as meeting classification under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
  • Have applied for and are pursuing permanent resident status or
  • Are granted a temporary stay of departure that has not expired.
  • Individuals who have verified they have applied for a T visa under the US Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000.
  • T visa status must be verified that the individual has made an application for T visa status by USCIS documentation.
  • Individuals with verified applications for U visa status under the US Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000.
  • U visa status must be verified by USCIS documentation indicating that an application was made.
  • Individuals with approved requests for adjustment to permanent resident status.
  • Adjustment approvals may be verified with USCIS form I-181-B (Notice to Alien, from USCIS).
  • Haitian Nationals
  • Haitian nationals granted entrant status may be verified with USCIS form I-94S. This is a pink and white laminated photo id card, and includes the individual’s name, birth date, non-citizen identification number, and a fingerprint. The date of parole and the expiration date are listed on the back.
  • NOTE:
    The following verification is not sufficient to establish eligibility for GA.

    USCIS forms I-94 A to I-94 L (lawful admittance to the US for temporary residence).
    USCIS form I-181-A (application for adjustment to permanent status).




    Yolanda Baldovinos, Director
    Social Services Agency

    Social Services Agency Logo Alameda County Seal

    Social Services Agency Logo Alameda County Seal