Promoting the economic and social well-being of individuals, families, neighborhoods and communities. The Alameda County Social Services Agency is comprised of 2,200 men and women working collectively and in partnership with community-based organizations to serve the needs of the community. The Agency assists approximately 11.3 percent of Alameda County's residents. Read More
- Most Popular
- Doing Business With Us
Benefits CalWIN is an online system that will provide customers the option of applying for CalWORKs, CalFresh and Medi-Cal. Click here to apply
Eligibility Programs Websites
Cash, Medi-Cal and CalFresh
Foster Care Providers
Important: For In-Home Support Services (IHSS), please call 510-577-1800. For the General Assistance (GA) program, you must apply in person at one of our office locations.
More GA program information
Are you Registered to Vote?
If not, the Social Services Agency would like to assist you with the process. It is quick and easy and can be completed online. But first, you must qualify to register. If you meet the following qualifications you are ready to begin the online voter registration process.
To register to vote in California, you must be:
- A United States citizen,
- A resident of California,
- 18 years of age or older on Election Day,
- Not in prison, on parole, serving a state prison sentence in county jail, serving a sentence for a felony pursuant to subdivision (h) of Penal Code section 1170, or on post release community supervision (for more information on the rights of people who have been incarcerated, please see the Secretary of State's Voting Rights for Californians with Criminal Convictions or Detained in Jail or Prison), and
- Not found by a court to be mentally incompetent.
Let's get you registered!
Click here to start the process.
Community Ambassadors Program
Interested in volunteering with Social Services? Read more here.
Social Services Customer Satisfaction Survey
The Alameda County Social Services Agency is committed to providing and maintaining the highest levels of service for its customers, and we value your feedback. This information will be used to help determine your customer service experience and to help identify areas that may need improvement. Please take a moment to complete this Customer Service Survey. The survey holds the highest level of confidentiality; therefore, the identity of the respondents is anonymous. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your participation. Take the survey!
This 3 year strategic plan, covering years 2014-2017, is designed to be a guidepost, to inform decision-making, and provide a basic framework on which to build and improve the General Assistance program. Alameda County Social Services Agency is committed to working with clients, staff, the Board of Supervisors, key partners, and other stakeholders to create an environment in our Agency and our county where our vision for General Assistance can be achieved, and where clients have hope, dignity, and opportunity.
Be Informed, Be Inspired: Featured Events at SSA
Learn about available resources to enrich your life and find creative ways to tackle everyday challenges. All events are free to the public. No RSVP required. View the calendar to see what's coming up! Click on an event to see more details about location, time, and content.
Season of Sharing (SOS) is a private fund providing emergency-based assistance for housing and critical needs to Alameda County residents. The program considers requests for assistance from families with children under 18 living in the home; seniors age 55 and older; individuals with medically verified disabilities; veterans; emancipated or former foster youth; victims of domestic violence or violent crimes; and pregnant women in their 2nd trimester or later. Households in need may contact the SOS automated pre-screening line at (510) 272-3700. More details here.
Looking for a Summer Job?
The Social Services Agency is now accepting applications for its 2015 summer internship program. Applications are due by May 1, 2015. This opportunity is open to students between the ages of 17 and 23 as of June 22, 2015 who are entering their senior year of high school or enrolled full time in a community college or undergraduate program for the 2015-2016 school year. Find out more.
Top 10 SSA pages
Top 10 Searches
Top 10 Documents
Standard file format is Portable Document Format (PDF). Free Adobe Reader required.
- Alameda County In-Home Supportive Services (PDF)
- Medi-Cal and You (PDF)
- Applying for Benefits (PDF)
- Senior Housing Guide (PDF)
- IHSS Application Instructions (DOC)
- Form # 1 IHSS Application (DOC)
- Form # 2 Application for Medi-Cal (PDF)
- Personal Care Services Program Provider/Enrollment Agreement (SOC 426) (PDF)
- In-Home Supportive Services Chore Provider Agreement (CP-7) (PDF)
- SSA Community Ambassador Application (PDF)
Doing Business With Us
The SSA contracts with a number of community-based organizations
and other government agencies.
This is a list of the current funding opportunities. Click an item below for more details.
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Contracting/Vendor Pay Agent & Employer of Record Services
- Request for Proposal: Subsidized Wage Employment Program
- Request for Proposal: Career and Employment Centers
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Career Readiness Program
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Comprehensive One-Stop Career Center Services
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Specialized One-Stop Career Center Services
- Request for Proposal: Alameda County Workforce Investment Board (ACWIB) Employer Services Hub Project
- Request for Proposal: Substance Abuse Testing and Treatment Services
- Request for Proposal: CalWORKs Domestic Violence Support Services
- Request for Proposal: Another Road to Safety Program
- Request for Proposal: CalFresh and Medi-Cal Outreach and Enrollment
- Request for Proposal: Dashboard Implementation Project
- Request for Proposal: Domestic Violence Center Act Legal and Shelter Services
EMERGENCY: 24 hour hotlines
- Child Abuse — 510-259-1800
- Elder Abuse — 510-577-3500 or 1-866-CALL APS (1-866-225-5277)
- Health, Housing & Human Services Information — 211
- Safely Surrendered Baby — 1-877-BABYSAF (1-877-222-9723)
- Ombudsman—Advocates for residents in long-term care facilities:
Working Hours Line 510-638-6878
After Hours Crisis Line 1-800-231-4024
Interactive Voice Response (IVR)
- CalWORKS, CalFresh, General Assistance, Medi-Cal — 510-263-2420 or 1-888-999-4772
- Adult Services/IHSS — 510-577-1800
- Adult Medi-Cal — 510-577-5655
- IHSS Providers — 510-577-1877
IHSS Clients/Providers Website
- Foster Care Providers — 510-780-8888
Foster Care Providers Website
- Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Helpline — 1-877-328-9677